Monday, February 8, 2016

Scriptures, Prayer, and Them Baptists!







Hey everyone!

This week has been pretty great!  A lot of seed planting which is just as important as harvesting the fruit.  Can't get fruit if you don't plant first, right?  We haven't been able to get back with a lot of
the people we tried earlier, but we should be getting into a few lessons this coming week.

One really cool experience I had this week was we went over to see a less active member, and it didn't seem like she was understanding why she needs to read the Book of Mormon.  Well, earlier that day I prayed before my studies that whatever I studied that day I'd be able to apply later on in a lesson that day.  So, suddenly without any planning, I pulled out my scriptures and turned to Lehi's dream that I'd just read earlier that day.  I explained to her that the iron rod, or the Book of Mormon, would lead her to the Tree of Life, or God's pure love. I was kind of scared as I was explaining this to her that she wouldn't understand what I was saying because I wasn't sure how familiar she was with Lehi's Dream, and since I wasn't sure about that I got scared and kinda became oblivious to her reaction. After the lesson I asked Sister Murri if she thought she understood what I'd said, and she said that something definitely clicked at that moment.

But wait, there's more.  I've been studying in the New Testament for the past couple of weeks, since I just finished the Book of Mormon, and I don't know what it was, but I feel like my studies have been
lacking a little ever since I finished the Book of Mormon, but that morning I decided that after I read a chapter in Mark, I'd go and read in my likening Book of Mormon (that I just mark up likening it to
myself now as a missionary). And as I read it, there was such an amazing spirit!  It was incredible, and just like I'd read in Lehi's Dream, the scriptures, (specifically the Book of Mormon) leads us all
to God's pure love. Well, as we were in that lesson, this less active lady said that there was so much tension in her house, but that whenever we came she felt so much peace.  I could have simply testified to her that as she reads the Book of Mormon, she will feel that same spirit, but because of the experience I had earlier that day in my studies, I was able to testify to her of that with so much passion and truth, and she felt something!  It was amazing, and it was all because of that one simple prayer.

Okay. Take in the spirit from that story for a little bit, because I'm about to kill it with a really funny story from the week....  Did you take it all in?  Good.  Here we go.

So, Sister Murri and I have been trying to find more service opportunities lately, and a good place to find those is with other churches, so we called a few of them to see if we could come help
them out, and one of them (The Son Light Baptist Church) said we could help them, but we'd have to meet with the pastor to "see if we are all on the same page about how we worship Jesus."  Hehehe.... But we were having a hard time setting up a time to talk with him, and we suddenly lost his number, so we decided that we'd just stop by and see if he might be there.  We walked into the building, and we didn't realize it until we were in there, but they were just starting their service, and then the pastor saw us and welcomed us in, so we decided to stay for some of the service, but we'd have to leave a little early because we had a dinner appointment.  They were singing their fantastic Baptist music, and everything was awesome, and then the pastor got up and gave us a shout out!  Then, we realized we'd have to stay the whole time, so we had to text our dinner appointment and tell them we'd be late, but it was so fun going to a different church's service.  It was my first time ever, and everyone was really welcoming to us, which was great. I loved it. It's not quite the same as our church, though. But Sister Murri and I are planning on finding other churches to go to, just for fun!  It's gonna be exciting!

I hope ya'll had an awesome week. Always remember I love you, and Jesus does, too!  Don't ever forget the power of prayer and The Book of Mormon.  Those two together will get you far!

Sincerely,
Sister Shelton



 The Son Light Baptist Church bus!  I mean, OUR Son Light Baptist church bus.

No comments:

Post a Comment