Monday, February 13, 2017

Really Missionaries are Just a Free Moving Company



Alright ya'll,

So, here's the deal.  A lot of stuff happened this week, and it's all really cool, so sit down and buckle up, cause I'm gonna tell ya about it.

So we did a lot of STLish things this week, like MLC, Stake Correlation, and exchanges.  Of those three, I think the coolest things happened on exchanges, so I'll tell ya about that.

So, I was with Sister Jacobson, who is just so sweet!  A lot of our plans fell through for the day, like they always seem to do on exchanges, but that was totally fine, because everything worked out the way it needed to.  The most incredible thing ever happened.  We were knocking doors, and first of all, there's not the biggest population of Spanish speakers in our area, but this trailer park we knocked on, almost everyone spoke Spanish, which is so incredible because Sister Jacobson is actually an hermana!  So she talked while I smiled.  One door was particularly awesome though.  This lady answered, who had the cutest little girl ever named Melanie, who just went ham speaking Spanglish, which was so cute!  Thanks to my two years of Spanish in high school, I was able to understand her when she said, "Mi Madre got me un bicicaleta!"  (She got a bike guys.)  and she was just adorable!  I kept Melanie occupied while Sister Jacobson spoke to the mom, Cecilia.  I couldn't tell what was being said, but I knew it was good.  After exchanged numbers and giving her the church address, we left, and I was able to talk to Sister Jacobson about what happened.  Well, turns out Cecilia is a member of our church, who joined five years ago, and was very active, but when she moved to America, she didn't know where the church was, so she stopped going. Isn't that crazy?!  And there's no way we could have done that on any other normal day without the help of an hermana.  Hermanas for the win!  We gave her number to the bishop because he speaks Spanish and can help her more than we can at this point, but we'll see how everything goes from there!

If that wasn't exciting enough, two Sundays ago, a cute family just walked right into church, and sat down like they'd been going there for years.  Well, we got to know them a little bit and turns out the
wife, Sabra, is a member, and the husband, John, is not, but wants to be. So we came over to their house on Thursday, and without delay, asked John if he wanted to get baptized, and he said yes!  Haha! March 4th everyone!  He said missionaries had taught him all the lessons before they moved, and we called up who we thought taught him, but turns out they didn't, so we're just going to teach him all of the lessons again, and he's down for it.  After our lesson, he very proudly made us his Cajun food, which he said he only makes for people he likes, so I feel like that's an accomplishment.  And dang was it good.  I could eat Cajun all day!

We also helped a few people pack so that they can move.  We've been helping Liz move for a while, and we also helped Brother Brown pack up, so he can officially move in with Sister Brown.  It was quite the week of packing, and moving.... Not to mention, my dear companion, Sister Reddish, has been packing up her things to move back home this week....

Yup.... that's right, friends, this week is transfers!  We had the transfer call this morning, and I'll be getting Sister Webb as my new companion.  I actually had a feeling I'd be getting her, and I just
know she's exactly who I need right now, and who this area needs. :). It's gonna be really good!

I just wanted to leave yn's with a little spiritual thought.  I'm stealing it from my mission president's training at MLC.  He said that in this church, we think of our callings as a hierarchy.  Almost as if
we have to have this calling or that calling to reach exaltation, but that is not true in the slightest.  God puts us all exactly where we are meant to be, so that we can bloom and blossom and help who ever is around us.  Because he knows the spot that is best for us.  It's not so much about the title, it's about what we do with our title.  I'd much rather see a primary teacher that changed a child's life forever, than a Relief Society president that neglects the sisters needs.  I could expound more on this, but I don't have much time, so just in closing, be the best whatever you are that you can be.  God placed you where you are for a reason, so grow where you're planted and help those around you.  You are not loved any more or less by God for where you are in life, and you can be incredible.  I say that in Jesus name. Amen.

Sincerely,
Sister Shelton


 
The one and only Sister Price and Brown!  Love them so much!
Well... There goes another one.  #assassin #ripsisterreddish
And if that train didn't kill her enough, we shot her and had a funeral for her.  #parkstokingerboekwegsheltonjacobsoncreasyulimaandlildeadred #thatwasabighashtag


Life Advice from Sister Price:

When looking for a hotel room, $60 is just as good as $120. And when you ask what the price is, ask if that's the best they can do.  They can always do better.  However, do not ask that to a poor person who is selling something on the side of the road.  I learned that the hard way. 


Quotes of the week:

Sister Brown: Hey, did you know that my leg is prosthetic from my hip to me knee?
Sister Price: How is that possible?
Sister Brown: It's not!

Elder Stokinger: What did he say to you?
Me: I don't remember.
Elder Stokinger: Liar. You have been sentenced to Liarsville, where you will be served a lifetime supply of liars.


No comments:

Post a Comment